Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap -- 2012


I can't remember where I first read about the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, but I do know I signed up immediately and was so relieved I met the requirements (barely....this baby blog was started on August 13, 2012, and the swap required a blog started on or before August 15th!).


Not only is it fun to bake and ship cookies off to other food bloggers, but the swap benefits the Cookies for Kids' Cancer nonprofit -- something this pediatric oncology nurse can really get behind.  OXO committed to matching the funds raised, and in addition sent this spatula to each participant.



I'm so happy to have this mini cookie spatula.  I bake in our kitchen and then transfer the cookies over to our dining room table to cool on racks while I chill the trays for another round to go in the oven (even this description is inefficient!).  I usually transfer them using a larger spatula, which goes something like this: get impatient, overload cookies on large spatula, drop cookies on floor, glare at dog/husband for eating cookie before I can throw it away.

I decided on snowflake cookies with simple decorations and tried to make each one somewhat unique.



I packaged them up in LOTS of bubble wrap and padding, and shipped them off to my matches, Lauren of Making Life Sweet, Ashley of GirlyObsessions, and Mackenzie of Susie Freaking Homemaker.

In return I received lovely packages on my doorstep from Kathleen of Sweetness Hunter, Robin of Mom Foodie, and Monica of SweetBites

Please check out these ladies' blogs, and enjoy my cookie recipe below!

Recipe:

I used my usual sugar cookie recipe (or as my mom always called it growing up, roll out recipe).  These cookies are soft and sweet, but hold up well when baking and decorating.  They are made with powdered sugar which prevents the dough and cookies from being grainy.  You can leave out the baking powder, which sometimes causes the cookies to spread while baking.  They are not low-fat.  :)

Roll-Out Cookies

2 1/2cups flour
2teaspoons baking powder
1/2teaspoon salt
1 1/2cup powdered sugar
1teaspoon vanilla
1cup butter
2eggs

1.  Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla (can also add or substitute almond extract which is delicious).

2. Combine remaining dry ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients, gradually, to butter/sugar mixture until well combined, but do not over mix.  Chill several hours or overnight.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375F.  Roll dough onto floured surface, cut out cookies, and bake for about 8 minutes.  Watch carefully as you don't want the bottoms to brown too much.  Cool on wire racks.


 

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful cookies! You definitely have a talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, your cookies were amazing! I loved them! So beautifully decorated and sooo tasty!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are quite pretty... I stink at decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty! Did you wrap each cookie individually? Iced Sugar Cookies are great for mailing because they taste good for such a long time. I would really appreciate any tips on packaging more delicate shapes like these beautiful snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @themondaybox -- I packaged them two/package -- similar to this: http://cookiedistrict.blogspot.com/2012/10/baby-shower.html. All of my shipping/mailing tips came from Sweet Sugar Belle: http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/12/shipping-cookies/. I've found it takes some trial and error...and a LOT of bubble wrap. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cooking Course eBook of the year. Healthy recipes, chicken recipes and cooking recipes from around the globe. Forget expensive culinary schools.

    >>> The Good Cooking Class | Cooking School

    Or,

    >>> http://www.mycookingcourse.com/cookingrecipes.html

    ReplyDelete